Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Broad Street

It's been a while since I posted a photo of downtown Selma.
 Here's the main road, Broad Street, otherwise known as U.S. Highway 80.
 Some of the stores pictured are Butler Truax Jewelers (in the old Kress building),
 the Truax & Co. gift shop, Shoe Palace, Carter Drug and Sneakers.
 In the distance is the First Presbyterian Church clock tower. 

Go straight, and Highway 80 will take you to Demopolis.
 Turn around, and you'll cross the Pettus Bridge and head to Montgomery. 

11 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

I love the old downtown areas. Travel west on 80 and you will hit Terrell. :-)

Anonymous said...

I like that view of Broad Street! I remember the first time that I saw it, it was so hot outside I thought that I would melt and turn into a puddle on the sidewalk, then I spotted the fountain across the way and knew that I was going to have to go over there and put my hand in it or maybe even swim in it. I wonder if that happens often? LOL!

Janet said...

Haha, Jim! I ALMOST wrote that if you keep going past Demopolis, you would eventually end up in downtown Terrell, Texas!


Rachel, I've never seen anyone in that fountain, but I imagine some folks have put their hand in it.

Unknown said...

Does every small town have a Kress Building?

Janet said...

Good question, Kathy! They are so beautiful, both inside and out, that I hope so.

Anonymous said...

What a classic photo of life and small town life.

Gattina said...

Nice view on the street !

This is Belgium said...

seen from all the way over here this view looks, gorgeous, exotic and almost familiar all at once

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully captured... I love core business districts that haven't physically changed much in years.. I like to retro feel!

Anonymous said...

Now I have an image of Selma whenever I read up my history. Thank you. Such an american town.

A Colorful World said...

I have been to your area...am from AL. Very nice photo of downtown Selma, and I love the bridge photo on your header!