Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Old Live Oak in April

We visited New Live Oak Cemetery yesterday; now we're back to Old Live Oak.
This cemetery is the resting place of many famous Selmians including U.S. Vice President William Rufus King.
His body was moved from his plantation across the river to this mausoleum.
King had gone to Havana, Cuba for his health at the time of his inauguration in 1853 and took his oath there.
Less than a month later, he died. King is also known as Selma's founder, and he served as a U.S. senator.

6 comments:

-K- said...

Very peaceful. I don't think I'm being morbid but I've found that when I go to cmeteries to perhaps find a shot, it makes me very calm. It puts my life in perspective.

Lois said...

It's beautiful and it looks very similar to Old City Cemetery here in Tallahassee. I just love the Spanish moss!

Al said...

That looks very peaceful and lovely. Those trees are amazing.

Mo said...

Beautiful place shown with a beautiful photo

Virginia said...

Just the other day a friend told me about your cemetery and said I'd love it. This proves it. I'd love to come and photograph this wonderful place...with you!
V

Janet said...

Sure thing, Virginia!