Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Upside Down Christmas Tree


Apparently, I've been putting my Christmas tree up the wrong way all my life! This upside-down tree suspends from the ceiling at Tutus, a Selma gift shop, and through a little Internet research, I discovered that the earliest Christmas trees were hung upside down.

Legend has it that in the 7th Century St. Boniface used an upside-down fir tree to explain the Holy Trinity to pagans in Germany. When he witnessed them worshipping an oak tree, he chopped down a fir tree and hung it upside down to show the relationship of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The tree became a symbol of Christianity and was known as God's Trinity Tree. Centuries later, food and flowers were hung from the trees.


Now don't you just love these colorful ornaments? I sure do!

8 comments:

Halcyon said...

Neat idea! I didn't know the original trees were hung upside down. While it's pretty, it certainly is more convenient to set them upright though!

Tanya Breese said...

How pretty...I've heard of upside down trees before but have never seen one and didn't know the history of them either! Wow!

marley said...

I've got an upside down christmas tree to show! Mine is from a shopping arcade. I guess they are back in fashion!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Wonderful shot. I have seen upside down trees before although I can't remember where. They are quite interesting to look at.

Lowell said...

Love those old legends! But there ain't no way I'm gonna hang a tree upside down. I have enough problem getting one to stand upright!

Janet said...

Jacob, that was my thought. I wouldn't want to try and have to hang a tree!

Lowell said...

Yes, I think I'm the one that would end up upside down!

D said...

I've seen one hung upside down in a house from a chandelier, but I had no idea there was a backstory! It's beautiful, either way!