Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cotton Blossom


Cotton is blossoming all over Dallas County, at least where it's still planted.
Last year, only 7,100 bales were produced compared to 11,600 bales in 2000 and 17,800 bales in 1990.

Planted acreage fell from 16,800 in 1990 to 3,900 in 2008. Price the farmer receives per pound is still around 63 cents, the same as 1989.

In 2007, the year of the Great Drought, a mere 2,000 bales were harvested, and farmers decided to plant even less of the crop.

Statistics courtesy the National Cotton Council


Photo by Christine Weerts

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't think that I have ever seen a cotton blossom from close-up! What a pretty photo of it! Wow! I can't believe that cotton hasn't gone up in value since 1989! But I guess it must still be profitable to plant since they are still growing it.

Janet said...

Nikki, I wondered about that price too, but it does tend to fluctuate from year to year. However, the price might just be why very few farmers are still growing it.

Unseen India Tours said...

Beautiful flower !! Great post..Thanks for sharing..Unseen Rajasthan

marley said...

I never knew this is what the flower looked like. Thanks for sharing.

D said...

Surely with all the rain we've had this summer, the harvest will be bigger. Don't you think?
I hope so.