Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mary Memorial


A statue of Mary, mother of Jesus, graces a small memorial garden next to the St. Edmund Memorial Chapel. The chapel was built in 1938 by the Edmundite Missions for African American Catholics. When the congregation merged with the white Catholic church in the 1970s, the former church building was converted to a chapel for the Edmundite fathers who live in Selma.

Thanks to Christine Weerts for sending her photograph.

*(City Daily Photo Blogs has reached a membership of 1,000! When Selma, Ala., Daily Photo began in March 2007, there were only about 200 members.)

5 comments:

Halcyon said...

Congrats on the milestone!

I like the simplicity of the statue. Very nice.

Lowell said...

The exposure here is right on. Good work!

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of the Edmundite Missions before. I will have to look for that statue the next time I am there. Thanks for highlighting cool places in Selma!

I noticed a photo of a swinging bridge on your slideshow. Where is that located?

Janet said...

Hi Nikki,
I had never noticed this statue before either, so I appreciate Christine sending it for my blog.

The swinging bridge is located at Kenan's Mill. The mill is owned by the Selma-Dallas County Historic Preservation Society and is open for special events, the Kenan's Mill Festival the first Saturday in November and during Spring Pilgrimage. You'll have to come down and get some of the cornmeal and jaunt across Valley Creek on the bridge! It's lots of fun.

Anonymous said...

I do intend to be in town for the Spring Pilgrimage, so YAY ME I will get to go to the mill, too. I love having things to look forward to! Thanks for the info!